- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Scandinavian Rye Bread Recipe
|Active dry yeast||1⁄2 Ounce (2 Envelopes)|
|Very warm water||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Light molasses||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Rye flour||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Caraway seeds||1 Tablespoon, crushed|
|Sifted all purpose flour||6 Cup (96 tbs)|
Calories 864 Calories from Fat 84
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 10 g15%
Saturated Fat 2 g9.9%
Trans Fat 0.8 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 1571.4 mg65.5%
Total Carbohydrates 172 g57.2%
Dietary Fiber 18 g71.9%
Sugars 10.4 g
Protein 25 g50.1%
Vitamin A 0.3% Vitamin C 1.1%
Calcium 11.3% Iron 68.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Combine remaining water and molasses with salt and shortening in a large bowl; stir in yeast mixture, rye flour and caraway seeds; add enough all-purpose flour to make a soft dough.
3. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes, using enough of the remaining flour to keep dough from sticking.
4. Place in buttered large bowl; turn dough to bring buttered side up; cover with towel. Let rise in a warm place, away from drafts, 1 hour, or until double in bulk.
5. Butter a large cooky sheet. Sprinkle with cornmeal.
6. Punch dough down; turn onto lightly floured surface; knead a few times; invert bowl over dough; let rest 10 minutes; divide dough in half and knead each half a few times. Shape into 2 loaves. Place at least 4 inches apart on prepared cooky sheet.
7. Let rise again in a warm place, away from drafts, 45 minutes, or until double in bulk. Brush tops with water.
8. Bake in a hot oven (400°) 35 minutes, or until browned and loaves sound hollow when tapped. Remove from cooky sheet to wire rack; cool completely.