- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Scallops Mornay Recipe
|Water||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Sauterne/Sauterne cooking wine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Instant minced onion||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Sliced fresh mushrooms||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||1⁄4 Tablespoon|
|Milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Shredded process swiss cheese||2 Ounce (1/2 Cup)|
|Chopped fresh parsley||3 Tablespoon|
Calories 105 Calories from Fat 43
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 5 g7.4%
Saturated Fat 1.7 g8.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 26.5 mg
Sodium 309.4 mg12.9%
Total Carbohydrates 5 g1.5%
Dietary Fiber 0.27 g1.1%
Sugars 2.2 g
Protein 9 g18.2%
Vitamin A 14.6% Vitamin C 18.5%
Calcium 4.3% Iron 3.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Preheat oven to temperature of 375 degrees.
2) In a medium saucepan, combine the water, wine, salt and onion together and cook over low flame for about 5 minutes.
3) Rinse the scallops properly and drain them.
4) Stir the mushrooms and drained scallops into the liquid mix. Cover the pan and cook over low flame for another 5 minutes.
5) With a slotted spoon, remove the mushrooms and scallops from the mixture and set them aside.
6) Boil the remaining liquid in the saucepan till it has reduced to about ½ cup, which usually takes about 10 minutes.
7) In a heavy saucepan, melt the butter over low flame, add the flour cook for about a minute, constantly stirring.
8) Combine the reduced liquid with milk and add to the flour mixture gradually.
9) Cook mixture over medium flame, constantly stirring, till it has thickened and is bubbly.
10) Stir in ¼ teaspoon of salt and 1/8 teaspoon of pepper and add the Swiss cheese. Stir the mixture till the cheese has melted and remove the sauce from heat.
11) Into the sauce, stir the scallops and mushrooms properly.
12) Into 6 greased custard cups of 6-ounces each, spoon the scallop mixture and bake in preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes. Sprinkle parsley.
13) Serve hot.
Other types of individual serving dishes can be used in place of the 6-ounce custard cups.