- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Scallops Au Gratin Recipe
|Scallops||4 Large, the deep half shells reserved.|
|Milk||1⁄2 Pint (3 Deciliter)|
|For the sauce|
|Flour||1 Tablespoon (Leveled)|
|Cooking liquid||1⁄3 Pint (2 Deciliter)|
|Cheddar cheese||2 Ounce|
|Cheddar cheese||2 Ounce, grated (50 Grams)|
|Prepared mustard||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|White breadcrumbs||2 Tablespoon|
|For the topping|
|Butter||1 Ounce (25 Grams)|
|Fresh white breadcrumbs||2 Tablespoon|
Calories 379 Calories from Fat 212
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 24 g37%
Saturated Fat 14.6 g72.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 94.3 mg
Sodium 543.6 mg22.7%
Total Carbohydrates 16 g5.4%
Dietary Fiber 0.92 g3.7%
Sugars 4 g
Protein 25 g49.8%
Vitamin A 15.2% Vitamin C 15.5%
Calcium 32.7% Iron 7.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Wash the prepared scallops.
2. Cut each into eight pieces.
3. Wash and dry the reserved scallop shells.
4. Butter them well or grease 4 gratin dishes
5. Preheat the oven to 350Â°F (180Â°C or Gas No. 4) before baking.
6. In a heavy saucepan add the scallop pieces, bay leaf, lemon and salt and pepper.
7. Pour in the milk.
8. Place on a medium heat and bring to a boil.
9. Reduce the and poach the scallops for 15 to 20 minutes until cooked.
10. Drain the scallops, reserving the poaching liquid in a bowl. Discard the lemon slices and bay leaf.
11. Measure 1/3 pint (2 dl or 1 teacupful) of the liquid and keep aside for the sauce.
12. In a clean saucepan, melt butter over low heat.
13. Add the flour to the butter and sautÃ© it for a minute until gets a sandy texture, but do not brown.
14. Gradually pour in the reserved poaching liquid, stirring vigorously to make a smooth sauce.
15. Let the sauce come to a boil while stirring constantly.
16. Let simmer for 2-3 minutes until it is thick.
17. Add the cheese and mustard and stir until cheese blends in.
18. Season the sauce according to taste
19. Take the pan off the heat and fold in the cooked scallops.
20. Divide the sauce and scallops between the four buttered scallop shells or gratin dishes and keep aside.
21. Make the topping by melting the butter in a sautÃ© pan.
22. Take pan off the heat and add the breadcrumbs, mixing with a fork until they are coated with the butter.
23. Top the scallops with the buttered crumbs.
24. Place the shells or dishes on a baking tray and then on middle level of the preheated oven.
25. Bake for 15 minutes, until lightly gratinated.
26. Serve immediately garnished with lemon slices.