- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Scalloped Okra Recipe
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm)|
|Okra||6 Cup (96 tbs)|
|Parsley||1 Tablespoon, minced|
Calories 139 Calories from Fat 31
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 3 g5.3%
Saturated Fat 1.3 g6.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 3 mg
Sodium 152.7 mg6.4%
Total Carbohydrates 24 g7.9%
Dietary Fiber 8.2 g32.9%
Sugars 8.2 g
Protein 6 g12.8%
Vitamin A 33.6% Vitamin C 155.1%
Calcium 16.4% Iron 11%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Peel and finely chop the onions,and garlic.
2. Wash and finely chop the peppers. Combine with onions and garlic.
3. Wipe the okra with a damp clean towel and cut into small even sized pieces, discarding the crown and tip. Keep separately.
4. Blanch the tomatoes in boiling water, refresh and peel the skins. Chop finely and keep separately.
5. In a large skillet, fry the bacon to render the fat and until it is brown and crisp.
6. Remove bacon onto paper towels and drain. Then crumble and set aside.
7. To the bacon drippings in the skillet, add the onions, garlic and peppers and sauté until golden brown.
8. Add the okra and stir fry until the stickiness disappears.
9. Mix in the chopped tomatoes, reduce the flame and cover the pan.
10. Cool for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
11. When tender, add the bacon and parsley to the okra and mix
12. Dish out in a vegetable casserole and serve hot.