- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Scallop And Orange Salad Recipe
|Orange juice||1 1⁄3 Cup (21.33 tbs)|
|Scallops||1 Pound (Sea Or Bay)|
|Slivered ginger||2 Tablespoon|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced|
|Sherry wine vinegar/White wine vinegar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Olive oil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Minced coriander leaves||1 Tablespoon (Cilantro)|
|Thinly sliced scallions||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Red bell pepper||1 Medium, cut into 3/4 by 1/8 inch julienne strips|
Calories 293 Calories from Fat 167
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 19 g29%
Saturated Fat 2.6 g12.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 25 mg
Sodium 290.3 mg12.1%
Total Carbohydrates 18 g6.1%
Dietary Fiber 1.7 g6.7%
Sugars 10.6 g
Protein 14 g27.8%
Vitamin A 22.3% Vitamin C 131%
Calcium 4.9% Iron 4.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. If sea scallops are being used, cut them in half horizontally, across the grain, to make rounds; then cut each round into wedge-shaped quarters. Rinse the scallops and pat them dry. Place them in a nonreactive saucepan and add the orange juice. Cover and bring to a boil over moderate heat. Reduce the heat to low and poach for 30 to 60 seconds, or until just cooked through (do not overcook or they will toughen). Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.
3. Add the ginger, garlic and honey to the orange juice in the pan. Bring the mixture to a boil over high heat; lower the heat to moderate and, stirring frequently, reduce the mixture to 1/2 cup. Cool to room temperature.
4. In a medium bowl, whisk together the vinegar, oil, salt, black pepper to taste and the coriander. Chop half the reserved orange zest and add it to the dressing, along with half the scallions and all the bell pepper.
5. Add the reserved scallops to the dressing and toss well. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour.
6. To assemble the salad, mound the scallop salad in the center of a chilled platter. Dip the reserved orange sections into the reduced orange juice mixture. Then, garnish the platter with "butterflies," using: 2 glazed orange sections for the wings and 2 strips of orange zest for the antennae of each butterfly. Sprinkle the remaining scallions over the salad and top with the remaining strips of orange zest.