- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Savory Baked Lima Beans Recipe
|Dried lima beans||1 Pound|
|Baking soda||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Salt pork||4 Ounce|
|Dry mustard||1 Teaspoon|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Brown sugar/Molasses||3 Tablespoon|
|Bean liquid/Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Catsup||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Onion||1 Medium (Peeled)|
Calories 339 Calories from Fat 166
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 19 g28.6%
Saturated Fat 6.7 g33.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 18.7 mg
Sodium 1429.1 mg59.5%
Total Carbohydrates 36 g12.1%
Dietary Fiber 4.5 g18%
Sugars 19.2 g
Protein 8 g16.5%
Vitamin A 12.8% Vitamin C 44%
Calcium 4.3% Iron 15.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Preheat the oven at (350° F.).
2. Pick over beans, wash them, cover with 2 quarts water and soak overnight.
3. The next day add baking soda and meat to the beans and cook for 1/2 an hour.
4. Save 2 cups of the liquid and drain the rest.
5. Add seasonings to beans and turn into a baking dish that has a cover.
6. Bury the onion in the center of the beans and add one cup of the liquid.
7. Cover and bake in the preheated moderate oven for 21/2 to 3 hours until the beans are soft.
8. Add the remaining cup of liquid gradually over the baking period as beans need it.
9. Uncover last half hour of baking to brown the top.
10. Serve with garnish as desired.