- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Savory Stuffed Cabbage Recipe
|Ground lamb||1 Pound, cooked|
|Cooked rice||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), crushed|
|Crumbled thyme||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Crumbled rosemary||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Tomato sauce||15 Ounce (1 Can, Special)|
|Cabbage||3 1⁄2 Pound (1 Head)|
|Onion||1 Large, chopped to make 1 cup|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
Calories 693 Calories from Fat 312
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 35 g53.5%
Saturated Fat 16.1 g80.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 151.8 mg
Sodium 900 mg37.5%
Total Carbohydrates 68 g22.6%
Dietary Fiber 13.3 g53.2%
Sugars 24.2 g
Protein 30 g59.9%
Vitamin A 24.5% Vitamin C 276%
Calcium 23% Iron 36.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Preheat the oven to 350° F.
2) In a large bowl, mix the lamb, rice, egg, garlic, salt, thyme, rosemary, pepper and 2/3 cup tomato sauce together.
3) Remove outer cabbage leaves. Cut a small slice from the top , keep aside. Then make a hollow shell about 1/2 inch thick in the cabbage.
4) Spoon the lamb mixture into the cabbage shell, pressing firmly, fit top back into place and tie with a string.
5) In a medium frying pan, saute the onion in the butter or margarine for about 5 minutes, until soft.
6) Stir in rest of the tomato sauce, sugar, salt and water. Stir constantly and bring to a boil, then turn off the heat.
7) In a deep flameproof casserole or Dutch oven, place the cabbage, core end down, pour over the sauce and cover.
8) Bake in preheated oven, basting 2 or 3 times with sauce, for 1 hour and 30 minutes.
9) Place the stuffed cabbage on a heated serving platter and remove the string.
10) Spoon some sauce over the cabbage, pass remaining sauce in a separate bowl. Slice the cabbage into wedges, garnish with parsley, if desired and serve immediately.