- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Savory Squash And Leek Casserole Recipe
|Banana squash/Hubbard squash||1 1⁄2 Pound, peeled and seeded|
|Leeks||1 1⁄4 Pound (3 Leeks)|
|Olive oil/Butter||2 Tablespoon|
|Chopped shallots||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Ground nutmeg||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Egg||1 Large, beaten to blend|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 970 Calories from Fat 329
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 37 g57.2%
Saturated Fat 6.3 g31.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 211.5 mg
Sodium 680.9 mg28.4%
Total Carbohydrates 147 g48.9%
Dietary Fiber 18.5 g74%
Sugars 46.9 g
Protein 24 g48.6%
Vitamin A 767.7% Vitamin C 241.1%
Calcium 54.5% Iron 92.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Cut squash into 1-inch chunks. Add to boiling water, cover, and simmer until tender when pierced, 12 to 14 minutes. Drain and mash squash with a potato masher or a mixer.
3. Meanwhile, cut off and discard tough green tops, root ends, and coarse outer layer of leeks. Split leeks in half lengthwise and rinse well. Thinly slice.
4. In a 10- to 12-inch frying pan over medium-high heat, combine oil, leeks, and shallots. Stir often, until vegetables are limp, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from heat.
5. Add mashed squash, nutmeg, 1/4 teaspoon salt, pepper, and egg; mix well. Spread in a shallow 1-quart casserole.
6. Bake, uncovered, in a 350° oven until lightly browned on top, about 45 minutes (35 minutes in a convection oven). Add salt to taste.