- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Savory Herb Barbecue Sauce Recipe
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Red onion||1 , finely chopped|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), minced|
|Red pepper flakes||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Celery seeds||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Chili powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Dry mustard||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon, coarsely cracked|
|Beef stock||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Canned tomato paste||6 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Tomato sauce||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Firmly packed dark brown sugar||2 Tablespoon|
|Cider vinegar||2 Tablespoon|
|Worcestershire sauce||2 Tablespoon|
|Kitchen bouquet||1 Tablespoon|
|Liquid smoke||1 Tablespoon|
|Prepared mustard||1 Tablespoon|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 704 Calories from Fat 171
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 20 g30.3%
Saturated Fat 2.8 g14%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 3641.5 mg151.7%
Total Carbohydrates 118 g39.3%
Dietary Fiber 17.9 g71.4%
Sugars 79.3 g
Protein 25 g49.8%
Vitamin A 120.4% Vitamin C 156.4%
Calcium 30.5% Iron 74.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Combine together the oil and onion in a saucepan placed over moderate heat.
2) Saute till the vegetables are tender. This takes about 5 minutes.
3) Add the red pepper flakes, garlic, basil, oregano, cumin, thyme, celery seeds and cloves. Cook the mixture for about 1 minute.
4) Add the dry mustard, chili, salt and pepper and cook for another minute.
5) Pour in the entire stock and bring the mixture to a boil, stirring.
6) Add the tomato paste, tomato sauce, molasses and brown sugar and stir well.
6) Add in the Worcestershire sauce, Kitchen Bouquet, cider vinegar and liquid smoke. Bring the mixture to a boil once again, frequently stirring.
7) Reduce the heat to low and gently simmer, occasionally stirring, till the mixture is thick enough to coat a spoon and has also reduced to about 3 cups. This takes about 60 minutes. Ensure that there is no burning of the sauce.
8) Serve as preferred.