- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Savory Bean and Chicken Casserole Recipe
|Dried lima beans||1 Pound (2 Cups)|
|Diced salt pork||1⁄4 Pound|
|Onions||2 Medium, chopped|
|Mashed garlic||1 Clove (5 gm)|
|Stalk celery||1 , chopped|
|Ground thyme||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Sausage meat||1⁄2 Pound|
|Frying chicken||2 1⁄2 Pound, cut in pieces (1 Piece)|
|Margarine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Tomato sauce||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Chopped parsley||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Dry white wine||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Diced ham||1⁄2 Pound|
Calories 1391 Calories from Fat 849
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 94 g145.3%
Saturated Fat 28.8 g144%
Trans Fat 0.1 g
Cholesterol 307.8 mg
Sodium 1255.5 mg52.3%
Total Carbohydrates 38 g12.6%
Dietary Fiber 8.1 g32.5%
Sugars 8.4 g
Protein 85 g170.9%
Vitamin A 22.8% Vitamin C 69.7%
Calcium 9.4% Iron 30.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) In a deep kettle soak beans overnight.
2) Next day, add more water to cover beans. Add, salt pork, half of the chopped onions, garlic clove, celery, and ground thyme.
3) Place in flame and simmer covered till done.
4) Drain beans and reserve the liquid.
5) In the remaining fat in skillet fry sausage meat and remaining onions to brown.
6) Take off from fat.
7) Take another skillet, heat margarine and cook chicken till golden brown on all sides.
8) Stir in tomato sauce, parsley and white wine. Cook covered in simmering heat for 15 minutes stirring frequently.
9) In a 3-quart casserole add half of the bean mixture.
10) Mix in sausage meat, chicken and tomato sauce.
11) Layer with remaining beans.
12) Add reserved bean liquid to cover mixture in casserole.
13) Place in preheated slow oven (325°F.) and bake covered for 1 1/2 hours.
14) Mix ham and bake uncovered for further 30 minutes.
15) Serve hot or cold.