- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Savory Baked French Toast Recipe Video
|Spinach||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Collard greens||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Onion||1 Small (chopped)|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm) (chopped)|
|Milk||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Cream||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (Reserve some for topping)|
|Dijon mustard||1 Teaspoon|
|Salt||1⁄2 Teaspoon (Use less if desired)|
|Cheese/Creamy jack cheese||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Fennel pollen||1 Pinch|
|Olive oil||1 Teaspoon|
|Bread slices/Stale french bread||10|
|Ham slices||5 (quartered)|
|Roasted almonds||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (chopped, for topping)|
Calories 628 Calories from Fat 297
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 34 g52%
Saturated Fat 14 g70%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 243.4 mg81.1%
Sodium 1140.8 mg47.5%
Total Carbohydrates 50 g16.7%
Dietary Fiber 4.7 g18.7%
Sugars 15.3 g
Protein 33 g66%
Vitamin A 59% Vitamin C 18.2%
Calcium 58.6% Iron 18.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Pre-heat oven to 350F.
2. In a medium bowl (if using a hand blender), or a food processor, or a blender, blend spinach, collard greens, garlic, eggs, milk, dijon, onion, seasonings, and 1/2 C cheese (I blended up the greens in the chopper attachment of my KitchenAid hand blender first, then transferred to the bowl).
3. Grease baking dish with olive oil – even on the sides (at least part way up).
1. Soak bread slices in egg mixture.
2. Place in baking dish, overlapping each slice with the next one (if desired). If there is any extra egg mixture, add more to each slice.
3. Top each slice with two pieces of ham.
4. Bake covered for 30 minutes.
5. Uncover, top with remaining cheese, and bake uncovered for 15 minutes more (or until it reaches 160F).
6. Let it rest for about 10 minutes before serving.
1. Top with a drizzle of cream and some almonds (a dollop of Greek yogurt would also be good!).
2. You could also serve with: Crispy Potatoes, Sliced Oranges, Green Salad, Coleslaw, Fruit Salad… It would also be good as a side dish, omitting the ham in the dish, with a Baked Ham or Roasted Chicken.