- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Sausage Stuffed Zucchini Wheels Recipe
|Lean italian turkey sausage||8 Ounce, casing removed|
|Whole wheat bread crumbs||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Low fat swiss cheese||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), shredded|
|Fresh parsley||2 Tablespoon, minced|
|Pine nuts||1 Tablespoon, chopped and toasted|
|Grated nutmeg||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
Calories 166 Calories from Fat 54
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 6 g9.5%
Saturated Fat 1.7 g8.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 33.1 mg11%
Sodium 587.1 mg24.5%
Total Carbohydrates 16 g5.2%
Dietary Fiber 2.6 g10.6%
Sugars 4.5 g
Protein 14 g28.8%
Vitamin A 18.8% Vitamin C 53.9%
Calcium 7.1% Iron 6.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) From each end of the zucchini, cut off 1/2 inch.
2) Now, using a small spoon or apple corer, scrape off the pulp and seeds. Ensure to leave a 1/4-inch shell. Reserve the pulp for later use.
3) Now, by inserting a cylindrical shaped paper towel through each zucchini, absorb all the moisture.
4) Keep in the refrigerator to chill.
5) Now, start preparing the filling by first crumbling the sausage.
6) In a large frying pan, add the crumbled sausage and cook until crowned.
7) On absorbent paper towels, drain the cooked sausage.
8) To a food processor or blender, transfer the sausage.
9) To this, add the bread crumbs, cheese, parsley, pine nuts, nutmeg, and the reserved zucchini pulp.
10) Blend until well combined.
11) Now, take out the zucchini from the refrigerator and remove the paper towels.
12) Into the cavities, stuff the sausage mixture, packing it in tightly.
13) Now, chill the stuffed zucchini for 1 hour.
14) Cut each zucchini into 1/4 inch slices and serve immediately.
Leftover stuffing, if any, can be served on crackers or rolled in lettuce leaves.