- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Sausage Nut Dressing Recipe
|Shelled chestnuts/1 cup cooked peeled chestnuts||1⁄2 Pound (Water-Packed Canned, Canned Steamed, Or Vacuum-Packed)|
|Hot italian sausage||1 Pound|
|Pork sausage links||1⁄2 Pound|
|Mushrooms||1⁄2 Pound, rinsed, discolored stem ends trimmed, and thinly sliced|
|Chopped onion||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Chopped celery||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), peeled and minced|
|Pine nuts||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Canned oysters||8 Ounce, drained and chopped (1 Can)|
|Sourdough bread cubes||3 Cup (48 tbs) (1/2 Inch Cubes)|
|Cornbread chunks||3 Cup (48 tbs) (From Scratch Or A Mix, 1/2 Inch Chunks)|
|Roasted pistachios||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped|
|Chopped parsley||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Poultry seasoning||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Dried thyme||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Half and half||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Light Cream)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 4167 Calories from Fat 1867
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 217 g334%
Saturated Fat 47.5 g237.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 521.4 mg
Sodium 6705.6 mg279.4%
Total Carbohydrates 369 g122.9%
Dietary Fiber 51.8 g207.4%
Sugars 64 g
Protein 213 g426.8%
Vitamin A 71.2% Vitamin C 66.7%
Calcium 69.5% Iron 161.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Bake in a 400° oven until nuts are no longer starchy-tasting, 20 to 30 minutes. Wrap hot nuts in a towel and enclose in a plastic bag; let stand about 10 minutes. With a short-bladed knife, pull shell and brown skin from 1 warm nut at a time.
3. Chop the cooked chestnuts and put in a large bowl.
4. Remove Italian and link sausages from casings and crumble meat into a 10- to 12-inch frying pan over high heat. Stir often until meat is browned and crumbly, about 12 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer sausages to bowl with chestnuts. Discard all fat from pan except 1 tablespoon.
5. To pan, add mushrooms, onion, celery, and garlic. Stir over high heat until most of the liquid is evaporated and the vegetables are limp, about 7 minutes. Add the pine nuts; stir until mixture is lightly browned, about 4 minutes longer.
6. To bowl with chestnuts and sausages, add the cooked vegetable mixture, oysters, sourdough bread, cornbread, pistachios, parsley, poultry seasoning, and thyme. Mix, and add salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle half-and-half over dressing; stir to moisten evenly. Spoon mixture into a shallow 3-quart casserole and cover tightly. (If making up to 1 day ahead, chill.)
7. Bake in a 350° oven until hot (at least 150° in center), 40 to 45 minutes (50 to 60 minutes if chilled).