- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Sausage Calzones Recipe
|Italian bulk sweet sausage||1 1⁄3 Pound|
|Extra-virgin olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Ricotta cheese||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Flat-leaf parsley||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), chopped (Or A Handful)|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm)|
|Parmigiano reggiano cheese||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), grated|
|Nutmeg||1⁄4 Teaspoon, freshly grated or a couple pinches ground|
|Black pepper||To Taste, few grinds, freshly ground|
|Pimiento||2 Tablespoon, chopped|
|Pizza dough||20 Ounce, refrigerated (2 Tubes, 10 Ounces Each)|
|Mozzarella cheese||2 Cup (32 tbs), shredded|
|Marinara pizza sauce||2 Cup (32 tbs), warmed|
Calories 741 Calories from Fat 383
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 43 g66.6%
Saturated Fat 23.4 g117%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 132.1 mg44%
Sodium 1529.9 mg63.7%
Total Carbohydrates 48 g16%
Dietary Fiber 1.4 g5.5%
Sugars 7.2 g
Protein 36 g72.5%
Vitamin A 24.6% Vitamin C 12.2%
Calcium 45.8% Iron 15%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Preheat oven to 425F.
2) In a small skillet drizzle olive oil and brown sausages in it.
3) Drain out crumbles and put in a paper towel-lined plate.
4) In a bowl, mix sausage, ricotta cheese, parsley, garlic, grated Parmigiano, nutmeg, pepper, and pimiento.
5) Roll two tubes of pizza dough on 2 separate nonstick cookie sheets.
6) Halve the dough.
7) Spread 1/2 cup mozzarella and 1/4 of filling on each rectangle.
8) Just work on half of the surface of each rectangle of dough.
9) Fold the dough over top of filling and pinch the edges to seal firmly.
10) Mound filling into a half-moon shape, fold dough over top, and trim edges following the rounded shape.
11) Seal the sides by pinching with fingers.
12) In case of tear take a little of filling and repair.
13) Repeat the process and arrange calzones on baking sheet and bake 12 to 15 minutes until golden brown.
14) Serve warm.