- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Sausage And Duck Gumbo Recipe
|Smoked sausage||2 Pound|
|Wild ducks/Domestic ducks||8 Medium|
|Onion||1 Medium, cut up|
|Snipped parsley||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Cooking oil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Chopped onion||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Chopped celery||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Chopped green pepper||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Frozen cut okra||20 Ounce, thawed (2 Packages, 10 Ounce Each)|
|Worcestershire sauce||1 Tablespoon|
|Dried thyme||1⁄2 Teaspoon, crushed|
|Ground red pepper||To Taste|
|Hot pepper sauce||To Taste|
|Hot cooked rice||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
Calories 4563 Calories from Fat 2894
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 321 g494.3%
Saturated Fat 94.3 g471.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1570.8 mg
Sodium 2115.1 mg88.1%
Total Carbohydrates 60 g19.9%
Dietary Fiber 7.7 g30.7%
Sugars 8.3 g
Protein 345 g689.4%
Vitamin A 45.1% Vitamin C 236.4%
Calcium 15.9% Iron 437.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) In a skillet of 10-inches, cook the sausages till they have turned brown and then cut them neatly into bite sized pieces. Set aside.
2) In a stockpot of 16-quart, combine together the celery stalks, cut-up onion, parley and bay leaf with the duck and add enough water to cover.
3) Bring the concoction to a boil and reduce the heat. Cover and cook over low flame for about 90 minutes or till the ducks have tendered.
4) Remove the ducks and strain. Reserve 4 quarts of the broth and discard all the vegetables.
5) Clean the duck, remove all the bones and cut the meat into bite sized pieces. Set aside.
6) To prepare the roux, heat oil in the same stockpot over medium flame. Stir in the flour and cook for about 15 minutes or till the mixture is reddish-brown in color.
7) Stir in the chopped onions, chopped celery, green pepper, okra, Worcestershire sauce, thyme and pepper very slowly and gently.
8) Cook, constantly stirring, till the vegetables have tendered.
9) Add the reserved duck broth, duck meat as well as the sausages and bring to a boil.
10) Reduce the heat and cook over low flame, uncovered, for 3 hours.
11) Use ground red pepper and hot pepper sauce to season to taste.
12) Serve hot over cooked rice.