- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Sauerkraut and Pork Recipe
|Boneless butt||2 Pound|
|Whole black peppercorns||10|
|Clear chicken broth||27 1⁄2 Ounce|
|White wine||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Lemon juice||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
Calories 693 Calories from Fat 423
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 48 g73.7%
Saturated Fat 18.7 g93.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 138.7 mg46.2%
Sodium 3532.9 mg147.2%
Total Carbohydrates 24 g7.9%
Dietary Fiber 10.3 g41.2%
Sugars 9.5 g
Protein 39 g77.9%
Vitamin A 70.3% Vitamin C 90%
Calcium 11.4% Iron 26.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Stud each onion with 4 cloves.
2. In a large kettle put onions, carrots, bacon and smoked butt.
3. Add peppercorns and berries, tied in cheesecloth bag.
4. Cover with sauerkraut and add butter.
5. In a bowl combine broth, wine and lemon juice.
6. Pour over mixture in kettle and bring to boiling point.
7. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 1-1/2 to 2 hours until butt is tender when pierced with fork.
8. Discard onions and cheesecloth bag.
9. Cut each piece of bacon into 4 slices, butt into 8 slices.
10. Arrange on large platter, with sauerkraut, garnish with carrots sliced crosswise and serve.