- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Sauerkraut And Bacon Recipe
|Bacon slices||4 , diced|
|Canned sauerkraut||29 Ounce (1 Can, No. 2)|
|Cabbage||1 Medium, chopped|
|Onion||1 , peeled, chopped|
Calories 125 Calories from Fat 37
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 4 g6.6%
Saturated Fat 2.3 g11.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 9.8 mg
Sodium 1658.6 mg69.1%
Total Carbohydrates 21 g7.1%
Dietary Fiber 9.7 g38.7%
Sugars 10.4 g
Protein 4 g8.7%
Vitamin A 5.1% Vitamin C 130.8%
Calcium 12.1% Iron 20.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Heat a small skillet over a high flame and sauté the bacon to render fat and until it is golden and crisp.
2. Tip the bacon and drippings from the skillet into a into a slow-cooker or a crock pot.
3. Add the sauerkraut, cabbage and onions to the pot
4. Add the butter, salt, pepper and sugar to the pot and toss to mix well.
5. Cover the pot with its lid
6. Slow cook the vegetables on HIGH for about 2 1/2 hours or if you are not in a hurry, cook on LOW for about 5 hours.
7. Once cooked, stir to mix the ingredients and serve
8. Spoon into a serving dish and serve hot as a side dish or use as a relish topping if you like.