- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Sauerbraten Using Carrots And Onions Recipe
|Onions||3 Medium, sliced|
|Carrots||3 Medium, sliced|
|Dry red wine||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Red wine vinegar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Celery stalks||2 Large, sliced|
|Mustard seeds||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Bottom round roast||5 Pound|
|All purpose flour||2 Tablespoon|
|Salad oil/Shortening||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Gingersnaps crumbs||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs) (Fine Crumbs)|
|Sour cream||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
Calories 555 Calories from Fat 207
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 23 g35.6%
Saturated Fat 6.8 g34.2%
Trans Fat 0.5 g
Cholesterol 144.3 mg
Sodium 225.6 mg9.4%
Total Carbohydrates 18 g6.2%
Dietary Fiber 1.9 g7.5%
Sugars 5.1 g
Protein 50 g99.6%
Vitamin A 63.6% Vitamin C 10.3%
Calcium 5.6% Iron 32.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Pour into large bowl, cover, and cool. Add roast, turning to coat. Cover and refrigerate 2 to 3 days, turning the meat once each day.
3. About 4 hours before serving, remove meat and dry with paper towels; coat meat with flour and 1 teaspoon salt. Strain marinade, reserving liquid.
4. In 8-quart Dutch oven over medium-high heat, in hot oil, cook meat until browned on all sides, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove meat; pour off all but 1 tablespoon of the drippings.
5. In drippings over medium heat, cook rest of onions and carrots 3 minutes, stirring. Add meat. Pour in marinade; heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low; cover; simmer 3 1/2 hours, turning occasionally.
6. Remove meat to warm platter; keep warm. Spoon off and discard fat from gravy. Add gingersnap crumbs and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Over medium-high heat, stir until mixture thickens. With a wire whisk, blend in sour cream. Cook, stirring, until heated through (do not boil).
7. Spoon some of the sour-cream gravy over the meat and pass remaining gravy separately.