- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
|Beef eye round/Bottom round of beef||5 Pound, rolled|
|Red wine vinegar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Fruity red wine||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs) (Such As Beaujolais)|
|Whole peppercorns||1 Teaspoon|
|Bay leaf||1 Large|
|Ground nutmeg||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), halved|
|Lemon rind strip||2|
|Onion||1 Medium, halved|
|Celery stalks with leaves||2 Large, coarsely chopped|
|Carrots||2 , peeled and cut into thin slices|
|Hot water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Beef consomme with gelatin||10 1⁄2 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Cold water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
Calories 453 Calories from Fat 182
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 20 g31.1%
Saturated Fat 7.1 g35.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 130 mg
Sodium 327.7 mg13.7%
Total Carbohydrates 9 g3%
Dietary Fiber 1.3 g5.2%
Sugars 1.9 g
Protein 48 g95.9%
Vitamin A 42.7% Vitamin C 10.4%
Calcium 2.2% Iron 1.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Remove the meat from the marinade. Strain the marinade, reserving the marinade and the vegetables separately. Pat the meat dry with paper toweling.
3. Heat a large kettle or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the meat, fat-side down. Brown the meat well, turning until all sides are browned, about 30 minutes. Don't rush the browning since you don't want to burn the meat.
4. Meanwhile, pour the reserved marinade into a saucepan. Simmer, adding a little hot water at a time until a total of 1 cup of water has been added. Keep the marinade warm.
5. When the meat is well browned on all sides, reduce the heat to very low. Add the consomme to the ketde. Add the reserved vegetables from the marinade. Cook, covered, until the meat is tender, about 3 1/2 hours. While the meat is cooking, occasionally baste the meat with some of the hot marinade. Continue basting until all the marinade has been added. Remove the meat to a hot platter; keep warm.
6. Strain the gravy through a sieve or food mill into a saucepan, pressing through as much of the cooked vegetables as possible.
7. Stir together with a fork the cornstarch and the cold water in a small cup until smooth and well blended. Skim the excess fat from the surface of the gravy. Bring the gravy to boiling. Stir in the cornstarch mixture. Cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes until the gravy is thickened.
8. Slice the meat. Pour some of the gravy over the slices. Pass the rest of the gravy separately.