- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Sarah’s Summer Torte Recipe
|Egg whites||6 (At Room Temperature)|
|Cream of tartar||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Vanilla||1 1⁄4 Teaspoon, divided|
|Sugar||1 3⁄4 Cup (28 tbs), divided|
|Whole blanched almonds||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Fresh strawberries||4 Cup (64 tbs), hulled, divided|
|Powdered sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Milk||4 Teaspoon, heated|
|Instant coffee crystals||2 Teaspoon|
|Heavy cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Peach/2 medium apricots||1 Medium, cut into thin slices|
|Fresh blueberries||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Fresh raspberries||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (Golden / Red Variety)|
Calories 426 Calories from Fat 128
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 14 g22.2%
Saturated Fat 7.2 g35.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 41.4 mg
Sodium 50.2 mg2.1%
Total Carbohydrates 72 g24.1%
Dietary Fiber 3 g12.1%
Sugars 66 g
Protein 5 g10.8%
Vitamin A 10.4% Vitamin C 91.2%
Calcium 5.8% Iron 4.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Preheat oven to 300°.
2. Take 2 baking sheets and line using parchment papers.
3. Make 10-inch circle on each baking sheet.
4. Take a large bowl, beat, using electric mixer tartar, cream, ½ tsp vanilla and egg whites thoroughly for preparing meringue till a sniff peak is formed.
5. Stir in ½ cups sugar, 1 tbsp at a time and beat under high speed till stiff peaks are formed and sugar is more or less dissolved.
6. Make circles of meringue on the parchment paper, while building the sides gently.
7. Keep in oven and bake for an hour.
8. Transfer baked meringues to wire racks, take the paper off and allow to cool.
9. Raise the temperature of oven by 50° and keep at 350°.
10. Take almonds and spread on the baking sheet.
11. Keep almonds in oven and toast for 7 to 8 minutes or till they turn light brown and cool it.
12. Take a blender or food processor bowl and grind toasted almonds.
13. Cut a strawberry into three equal pieces.
14. In the food processor bowl, add 2 cups strawberry slices and 2 tbsp sugar and toss gently.
15. Take a small bowl, add heated milk, powdered sugar, ¼ tsp vanilla and coffee crystals to prepare icing.
16. Coat one of meringues completely with icing.
17. Top using strawberry-sugar mixture and arrange strawberries to cover the icing.
18. Prepare a second meringue layer on the strawberry layer.
19. Take a chilled small bowl, mix 2 tbsp sugar, ½ tsp vanilla and cream and beat using chilled beaters with medium speed till stiff peaks are formed.
20. Top second meringue with whipped cream.
21. Sprinkle, in generous amounts, the toasted almonds on whipped cream.
22. Top whipped cream with peach slices, strawberries, raspberries and blueberries.
23. Allow to chill till served.
24. Serve chilled.