- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
SanaaCooks: Falafel Recipe Video
|Garbanzo beans||1 Pound, soaked overnight, drained|
|Onion||1 Large, chopped|
|Parsley||2 Cup (32 tbs), minced|
|Cilantro||1 Cup (16 tbs), minced|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced|
|Cumin powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Coriander seed powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Cayenne pepper||To Taste (Optional)|
|Baking powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Oil||2 Cup (32 tbs) (For frying)|
Calories 986 Calories from Fat 717
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 81 g125.2%
Saturated Fat 10.5 g52.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 297.4 mg12.4%
Total Carbohydrates 54 g17.9%
Dietary Fiber 15.2 g60.8%
Sugars 10.5 g
Protein 16 g32%
Vitamin A 39.9% Vitamin C 58%
Calcium 31.7% Iron 37.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a food processor, add the soaked and drained garbanzo, onion, parsley, cilantro. Process till coarsely ground.
2. Transfer them into a colander to drain off any excess liquid.
3. In a large bowl, put the garbanzo mixture. Add garlic, cumin, coriander, cayenne (if using), pepper, salt and baking powder.
4. Mix them with hands or spatula to combine well.
5. In a deep frying pan, heat vegetable oil.
6. Make patties using the falafel mold or a scoop or spoon.
7. Put them carefully in the hot oil and fry till brown on both sides.
8. Transfer them on a paper towel to drain off excess oil.
9. In a serving plate, make pita sandwich with pita pockets, falafel and choice of vegetables. Serve fresh, or enjoy as it is.