- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Varai Bhat ni Shengdanyachi Amti (Vrat ke Chawal With Spicy Peanut Gravy) Recipe Video
|For the varaicha bhat|
|Cumin seeds||1⁄2 Teaspoon (Jeera)|
|Cinnamon stick||1 Inch|
|Bay leaf||1 Medium|
|Samo seeds||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Varai / Vrat ke Chawal / Moraiyo)|
|Hot water||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|For the shengdanyachi amti|
|Roasted peanuts||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Green chilies||4 Medium, chopped|
|Water||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Cumin seeds||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Tamarind pulp/Cocum pieces||2 Tablespoon|
|Jaggery||1 Tablespoon (Gudh / Gul)|
|Boiled potatoes||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), cut into pieces (Optional)|
Calories 241 Calories from Fat 100
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 12 g18.3%
Saturated Fat 2.2 g11.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 3.4 mg
Sodium 236.3 mg9.8%
Total Carbohydrates 30 g9.9%
Dietary Fiber 4.9 g19.4%
Sugars 6.2 g
Protein 7 g13.1%
Vitamin A 5.4% Vitamin C 83.3%
Calcium 5.5% Iron 20.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Wash and rinse samo seeds about 2 - 3 times in cold water. Drain and set aside.
2. Heat a saucepan with ghee. When hot add cumin seeds.
3. When the cumin seeds splutter, add cloves, cinnamon stick and bay leaf. Stir for a minute.
4. Add the rinsed and drained samo seeds, stir and roast on low to medium heat for about 5 minutes.
5. When the varai starts changing color, add hot water and salt to taste. Stir and bring to a boil.
6. Once it starts boiling, reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and cook for about 10 - 15 minutes until all the water has been absorbed by the varai.
7. Meanwhile, into a blender add the roasted peanuts, green chilies and water, blend until you get a fine paste.
8. Heat a pan with ghee. When the ghee is hot, add cumin seeds.
9. When the cumin seeds splutter, add cloves and cinnamon stick.
10. Add the prepared peanut paste (if required, you may add a little more water), tamarind pulp and jaggery.
11. Add boiled potato pieces, if using. Stir and bring it to a boil. Once it starts to boil, reduce to medium heat and simmer for about 5 minutes.
12. After about 5 minutes, turn off the heat.
13. Serve the Varai Bhat warm with the Shengdanyachi Amti (spicy peanut gravy).