- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Sambhar Recipe Video
|Masoor dal||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Red split lentils)|
|Water||1 7⁄100 Liter|
|Turmeric powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Curry leaves||15 (10-15)|
|Tamarind paste||200 Gram|
|Cayenne pepper powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Asafoetida powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Fresh curry leaves||10 (8-10)|
|Molasses||1⁄4 Teaspoon, grated|
|Eggplant||1 Small, cut into 4 halves|
|Drumstick||1 , cut into 1 inch pieces|
|Okra||4 , cut into 1 inch pieces (Ladies finger)|
|For the ground masala|
|Urad dal||1⁄4 Teaspoon (White gram lentils)|
|Coriander seeds||2 Teaspoon|
|Fenugreek seeds||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Whole dry red chilies||2|
|Grated coconut||1 Teaspoon|
|Coconut oil||1 Teaspoon|
|For the tempering|
|Mustard seeds||1 Teaspoon|
|Fresh curry leaves||7 (6-7)|
Calories 570 Calories from Fat 86
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 10 g16%
Saturated Fat 3.3 g16.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 212.3 mg8.8%
Total Carbohydrates 86 g28.7%
Dietary Fiber 39.8 g159.2%
Sugars 7.9 g
Protein 39 g77.4%
Vitamin A 14.3% Vitamin C 25.4%
Calcium 14.6% Iron 54.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
Things You Will NeedPan
For Dry Ground Masala:
1. In blender add white gram lentil, coriander seeds, fenugreek seeds, dry red chilies, grated coconut, and coconut oil. Blend into a fine paste.
To Cook Lentil:
2. In a pan add water (800ml) and masoor dal (Red split lentils). Cover with a lid and let boil until the lentils become very soft and pureed.
3. Once the lentils are cooked and almost pureed, add fresh curry leaves, and turmeric powder. Stir well.
4. In a separate bowl add tamarind paste, and water (250 ml). Squeeze the tamarind paste until the water changes color. Sieve the tamarind water into a pan.
5. Add cayenne pepper powder, asafetida powder, fresh curry leaves, and salt to taste.
6. Once it boils, add grated molasses and mix well.
7. Add eggplant, and drumstick pieces. Cover with a lid and let it cook for 5-10 minutes.
8. Add the cooked lentils and mix well. Let it come to a boil and then add ladies finger, dry ground masala (1 tsp), water (20 ml) and stir well. Pour the sambhar in a serving bowl.
9. In a small pan add coconut oil. Once the oil is hot add mustard seeds and wait till they splutter.
10. Add fresh curry leaves, and dry red chilies. Pour the tempering into the bowl with sambar.
11. Serve hot.