- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Sambhar - Lentil and vegetable soup Recipe Video
|Tur dal||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), boiled|
|Mustard seeds||1 Teaspoon|
|Whole dry red chilies||2 Medium|
|Cumin seeds||3⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Curry leaves||3 Medium, torn|
|Ginger paste||1 Teaspoon|
|Garlic paste||1 Pinch|
|Turmeric powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Onions||1⁄2 Medium, chopped finely|
|Potato||1⁄2 , cubed|
|Carrots||1⁄4 , diced|
|Green peas||20 Gram|
|Tomatoes||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped|
|Drum sticks||1 Medium, cut into 2-inch pieces, boiled|
|Garam masala powder||1 Teaspoon (Sambhar garam masala used)|
|Tamarind paste||3⁄4 Tablespoon|
|Brown sugar||1 Teaspoon|
|Green chili paste||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Hot water||1 Cup (16 tbs) (As required) (Optional)|
|Fresh cilantro||1 Tablespoon, chopped (For garnishing)|
Calories 2221 Calories from Fat 277
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 33 g50.4%
Saturated Fat 4.5 g22.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 310.7 mg12.9%
Total Carbohydrates 440 g146.8%
Dietary Fiber 46.3 g185.1%
Sugars 6.1 g
Protein 60 g120.1%
Vitamin A 44.8% Vitamin C 14.5%
Calcium 10.5% Iron 97.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In the pressure cooker, boil the tur dal and set aside.
2. Take a pot with a couple of tablespoons of oil, heating at medium. Add the mustard seeds and whole dry red chilies. When they begin to crackle add the cumin seeds.
3. Add a pinch of hing, ginger, curry leaf, and garlic paste and turmeric powder. Add finely chopped onions and stir.
4. Add the potatoes, carrots, green peas and corn. Stir and let it cook. Once the vegetables are tender, add the tomatoes and the boiled drumsticks. Stir well.
5. Add the sambhar garam masala and tamarind paste. Mix all the ingredients well.
6. Add the well cooked and mashed tur dal into the pot with the simmering vegetables. Also add the water in which the dal was boiled.
7. Add brown sugar, green chili paste and salt to taste. Add water, mix well and let the sambhar simmer for a few minutes. Season with salt.
8. Lastly sprinkle some freshly chopped cilantro and turn off the heat.
9. Serve the sambhar hot with rice or dosa.