- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Salt Pork and Bean Chowder Recipe
|Dried pea beans||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Salt pork||1 Pound, diced|
|Onion||1 , chopped|
|Potatoes||1 Cup (16 tbs), diced|
|Celery||1 Cup (16 tbs), diced with leaves|
|Canned tomatoes||19 Ounce|
|All purpose flour||2 Tablespoon|
|Milk||2 Cup (32 tbs), heated|
Calories 748 Calories from Fat 577
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 64 g98.4%
Saturated Fat 23.7 g118.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 72.5 mg
Sodium 1409.3 mg58.7%
Total Carbohydrates 34 g11.3%
Dietary Fiber 4.4 g17.5%
Sugars 6.6 g
Protein 12 g25%
Vitamin A 15.9% Vitamin C 30.8%
Calcium 13.9% Iron 12%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Boil beans in water for 2 minutes. Take off from heat and keep aside for 1 hour.
2. Cook pork with onion until both turn mildly brown.
3. Add to the beans, place back on heat, cover, and simmer for 60 minutes.
4. Add all the ingredients, excluding flour and milk, and simmer for half an hour more.
5. Make a paste of the flour and add it to the simmered chowder. Mix in milk and heat for 2 minutes.
6. Ladle Salt Pork and Bean Chowder into 6 warm soup bowls and serve garnished with a fresh mint sprig.