- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Salt Cod, Chickpea, and Potato Soup Recipe
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), peeled and finely chopped|
|Spanish onion||1 Large, peeled and diced|
|Potato||1 Large, peeled and cubed|
|Brown rice||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Water||10 Cup (160 tbs)|
|Saffron threads||1 Teaspoon|
|Canned chickpeas||1 Cup (16 tbs), drained and rinsed|
|Salt cod||1 Pound, rinsed and soaked for 16 hours in 4 changes of cold water|
|Frozen peas||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
Calories 298 Calories from Fat 39
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 4 g6.7%
Saturated Fat 0.55 g2.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 40.5 mg
Sodium 4629.9 mg192.9%
Total Carbohydrates 41 g13.6%
Dietary Fiber 5.9 g23.4%
Sugars 4.3 g
Protein 26 g51.2%
Vitamin A 14% Vitamin C 37.7%
Calcium 13% Iron 11%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) In a large Dutch oven, heat the olive oil, over medium heat.
2) To the hot oil, add the garlic.
3) Saute it, stirring often, for a while.
4) Stir in the onion, and saute it, until tender.
5) Then, add the potato, and saute for a minute.
6) Gradually, stir in the rice, over high heat.
7) Add water and bring to a boil.
8) Add the saffron, then reduce the heat, and simmer for 20 minutes.
9) Now, add the chickpeas and salt cod.
10) Simmer the soup for 10 more minutes.
11) Finally, add the peas.
12) Season the soup with salt and pepper and serve hot.