- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Sally Lunn Ring Recipe
|Active dry yeast/Compressed yeast - 1 cake||1⁄4 Ounce (1 package)|
|Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Eggs||2 Medium (at room temperature)|
|Milk||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs), scalded|
|All purpose flour||3 1⁄2 Cup (56 tbs), sifted|
|Shortening||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), melted|
Calories 728 Calories from Fat 267
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 30 g46.4%
Saturated Fat 8 g39.8%
Trans Fat 3.4 g
Cholesterol 96.8 mg
Sodium 534.4 mg22.3%
Total Carbohydrates 98 g32.5%
Dietary Fiber 3.3 g13.3%
Sugars 13.7 g
Protein 16 g31.9%
Vitamin A 2.9% Vitamin C 0.01%
Calcium 7.2% Iron 32.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Preheat oven moderately to 350°F.
2. In a cup or bowl of water sprinkle or crumble yeast with 1 tablespoon of the sugar added.
3. Use very warm water (105°F.to 115°F.) for dry yeast and lukewarm (80°F.to 90° F.) for compressed.
4. Let it stand for a few minutes and then stir until dissolved.
5. Adding remaining sugar, beat in eggs and add milk cooled to lukewarm.
6. Gradually stir in half of flour beating until the batter falls in sheets from the spoon.
7. Cool shortening to lukewarm, add and mix well.
8. Combining salt with the remaining flour add gradually and mix well.
9. Scrape down bowl and grease top of dough to prevent crusting.
10. Covering the bowl, let dough rise in a warm place (80°F.to 85°F.) until doubled in bulk for about 1 hour.
11. Punch down dough, cover and let it rest for 10 minutes.
12. In a greased 8 1/2 cup gelatin mold or in a Sally Lunn or Turk's-head mold place the dough and let stand, covered in a warm place to rise again until doubled in bulk, about 45 minutes.
13. Bake in the preheated moderate oven for 1 hour until browned.
14. Serve hot with butter.
15. Makes one 8 1/2 -inch Sally Lunn ring.