- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Sakkarai Pongal 7 Recipe Video
|White rice||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Moong dal||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Cardamom||1 Teaspoon, ground|
|Cashewnuts||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Filtered water||7 1⁄2 Cup (120 tbs) (reduced)|
|Dalda||1 Teaspoon (for frying)|
|Unrefined sugar||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Soy milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Optional)|
Calories 536 Calories from Fat 27
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 3 g4.9%
Saturated Fat 1 g5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 24.1 mg1%
Total Carbohydrates 123 g41%
Dietary Fiber 3.2 g12.8%
Sugars 76.2 g
Protein 8 g15.2%
Vitamin A 2% Vitamin C 0.25%
Calcium 4.3% Iron 8.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Wash hands with antibacterial hand soap and water.
2. Grind cardamom into a fine powder and set aside.
3. In a large skillet over med-high heat, add moong dal, stir continuously. Add in the rice and roast until golden brown. Then set aside.
4. In a medium pan over low heat, melt vegetable ghee. Add cashew nuts, stir constantly until golden brown and set aside.
5. In a double layer rice cooker, add in the roasted rice and moong dal. Add water, cover with a lid and cook on simmer for 12-15 minutes.
6. Add ground cardamom to the rice and mix well.
7. Add unrefined sugar and mix well with the rice. Keep on simmer for 20 minutes or until thick.
8. Add in the roasted cashew nuts. Mix well and remove from heat.
9. Pour this Sakkarai Pongal into a serving bowl, and serve hot.