- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Irish Soda Bread.mpg Recipe Video
|All-purpose flour||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Granulated white sugar||3 Tablespoon|
|Baking soda||1 Teaspoon|
|Unsalted butter||3 Tablespoon, cold and cut in small pieces|
|Raisins||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Caraway seeds||1 Tablespoon|
|Buttermilk||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Buttermilk powder||6 Tablespoon|
|Flour||3 Tablespoon (For dusting)|
Calories 469 Calories from Fat 74
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 8 g13%
Saturated Fat 4.5 g22.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 26.5 mg8.8%
Sodium 633.5 mg26.4%
Total Carbohydrates 84 g28.1%
Dietary Fiber 3.5 g13.9%
Sugars 28.3 g
Protein 15 g30.2%
Vitamin A 4.5% Vitamin C 3.2%
Calcium 21.7% Iron 21%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Preheat oven to 375 ° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt.
3. Add in the butter into the flour mixture, with a pastry blender or with the fingers, until the mixture looks like coarse crumbs. Stir in the raisins and caraway seeds.
4. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add in most of the buttermilk. Using yours hands, or a spatula, mix until you have soft moist dough.
5. Transfer to a lightly floured surface and gently knead the dough into a 7-inch round. Place the round on prepared baking sheet, with a sharp knife, cut a ¼ inch deep "X" across the top of the bread.
6. Bake for about 40 minutes or until nicely browned and a toothpick inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean.
7. Remove the bread from oven. Cool slightly.
8. Serve the Irish Soda Bread with lots of butter!
You can use the prepared dough to bake scones or biscuits if you like.