- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Saint Paddy's Classic Corned Beef Dinner Recipe
|Corned beef brisket||6 Pound|
|Beets||12 Small, tops removed|
|Boiling potatoes||12 Small, peeled|
|Boiling onions||12 Small, peeled|
|Carrots||12 , scraped|
|Turnips||6 Small, peeled|
|Green cabbage head||1 , cored and quartered|
|Mustard||2 Teaspoon (For Accompaniment)|
|For the horseradish sauce|
|Chilled whipping cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Prepared horseradish||5 Tablespoon|
|Cider vinegar||3 Tablespoon|
|Freshly ground pepper||To Taste|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 7367 Calories from Fat 2974
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 331 g509.3%
Saturated Fat 145.5 g727.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1640 mg
Sodium 5161.6 mg215.1%
Total Carbohydrates 691 g230.3%
Dietary Fiber 124.6 g498.5%
Sugars 217 g
Protein 448 g896.1%
Vitamin A 2464.4% Vitamin C 1180.9%
Calcium 104.8% Iron 167%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Under running water, rinse the corned-beef and place it in a large, deep pot.
2) Cover completely with cold water and over high flame, bring to a boil. Skim off any scum that tends to rise to the surface during the boiling process.
3) Bring the heat down to low flame, cover the pot partially, and allow to gently simmer for 3 hours. If serving is to be delayed, the meat can stay in the hot cooking liquid for another hour or two. Before going ahead with the vegetables, simple bring back to simmer.
4) Nearly 60 minutes before serving time, place the beets in a medium saucepan. Cover completely with water and allow to boil till the beets are tender with pierced. This generally takes about 40 minutes.
5) Drain the beets and peel when they are cool enough.
6) Put the peeled beets back in the saucepan and add some ladlefuls of the corned beef broth. Keep warm over low flame.
7) Add the potatoes to the corned beef being simmered while the beets are boiling and cook for about 10 minutes.
8) Add onions, turnips and carrots. Cook over low flame till the vegetables are completely tender. This takes about ½ hour. Add the cabbage wedges and cook over low flame for exactly 3 minutes.
9) To prepare the Horseradish sauce, whip the cream till it is stiff and then fold the vinegar and horseradish in the whipped cream. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
10) Take the meat out of the pot, slice it thinly and arrange it on a large warm platter. Surround with the vegetables cooked in the pot.
11) Drain the beets. Place them in a separate serving bowl.
12) Serve hot with mustard and Horseradish sauce on the side.