- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Saffron Chicken Recipe
|Chicken||3 Pound, cut into 8 pieces and skinned|
|Onion||1 Small, finely chopped|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), crushed|
|Tomatoes||8 , peeled, seeded and chopped|
|Rice||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Boiling water||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Saffron||1 1⁄4 Pinch|
|Ground saffron||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Frozen green peas||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Chopped parsley||2 Tablespoon|
Calories 2004 Calories from Fat 836
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 93 g143.4%
Saturated Fat 24 g120%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 455.9 mg
Sodium 507.9 mg21.2%
Total Carbohydrates 131 g43.5%
Dietary Fiber 13.7 g54.7%
Sugars 19.4 g
Protein 156 g311.1%
Vitamin A 181.9% Vitamin C 189.8%
Calcium 23% Iron 60.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) In a large skillet, heat the oil. Place the chicken in the hot oil after seasoning it, skin side down first. Cook the chicken over medium flame, frequently turning it to lightly brown. Set cooked chicken aside.
2) To the oil in the skillet, add the onions and slowly cook till they have softened but not colored.
3) Add the paprika and cook for about 2 minutes, frequently stirring till the paprika loses a little of its red color. Add the tomatoes and garlic.
4) Over high flame, cook the mixture for about 5 minutes in order to evaporate all the liquid from the tomatoes. When done, the mixture should be of dropping consistency.
5) Place the mixture in a Dutch oven to a casserole and add the water, rice and saffron. Stir well.
6) To the casserole, add the cooked chicken and over high flame, bring concoction to a boil. Reduce to low flame, cover tightly and cook for nearly 20 minutes.
7) Remove the chicken and add in the parsley and peas. Cook for another 5 to 10 minutes or till the rice has tendered.
8) Serve hot after combining rice with chicken.