- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Saffron Broth with Chicken Recipe
|Saffron threads||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Water||1 Tablespoon, warm|
|Vegetable broth/Chicken broth||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), minced (Small Ones)|
|Carrots||4 , cut into 1/2-inch-thick rounds|
|White turnips||2 , cut into 3 x 1/4-inch matchsticks|
|Whole skinned boned chicken breast||1 1⁄2 Pound (2 In Number)|
|Bottled red peppers||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), roasted, finely chopped (Or Pimientos)|
|Mayonnaise||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Cayenne pepper||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Italian bread slice||4 , lightly toasted (3/4 Inch Thick)|
Calories 470 Calories from Fat 216
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 24 g37.2%
Saturated Fat 2.6 g13%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 118.3 mg39.4%
Sodium 745.9 mg31.1%
Total Carbohydrates 19 g6.3%
Dietary Fiber 4.1 g16.6%
Sugars 5.5 g
Protein 42 g83.7%
Vitamin A 207.5% Vitamin C 40.9%
Calcium 6.4% Iron 11.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Dice the chicken into 3/4-inch pieces.
2) In a small bowl, dissolve the saffron in the 1 tablespoon warm water.
3) In a large saucepan, bring the broth, 2 cups water, 1/2 garlic, carrots, turnips and 1/2 saffron to a boil over a medium-high heat.
4) Cover and simmer for about 5 minutes until the vegetables are just tender.
5) In a bowl, mix the red peppers, mayonnaise, 1/2 garlic and 1/2 saffron, together. Season to taste with the salt and cayenne pepper.
6) Add the chicken into the soup and allow to simmer over a medium heat. Cook, uncovered for 2 to 3 minutes until the chicken is thoroughly cooked. Adjust the seasoning.
7) Spread saffron mayonnaise on each slice of toast, diagonally cut each slice into 1/2-inch fingers and evenly into 4 soup bowls.
8) Ladle the hot broth, vegetables and chicken over the bread and serve immediately.