- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Saffron Bread Recipe
|Boiling water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Saffron threads||1 Teaspoon|
|Sifted all purpose flour||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Baking powder||3 Teaspoon|
|Baking soda||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Shortening||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Eggs||2 , beaten|
|Fresh lemon juice||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Shredded lemon peel||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Use Fresh)|
Calories 825 Calories from Fat 258
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 29 g44.9%
Saturated Fat 7.4 g36.8%
Trans Fat 3.4 g
Cholesterol 105.7 mg
Sodium 752.6 mg31.4%
Total Carbohydrates 131 g43.6%
Dietary Fiber 5.9 g23.6%
Sugars 52.4 g
Protein 14 g27.1%
Vitamin A 3% Vitamin C 89.6%
Calcium 34.9% Iron 31.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Preheat oven to 350°F before baking.
2) Soak saffron in boiling water for 30 minutes.
3) Sift together flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
4) Mix shortening and sugar, creaming until light and fluffy.
5) Beat in eggs.
6) Mix saffron and water with lemon juice and peel.
7) Mix with dry ingredients and add the combined mixture to creamed mixture, just stirring enough to wet.
8) Take two greased and floured loaf pans (7 1/2 x 3 1/2 x 2 1/4 inches); place the mixture in them and bake for 40 to 45 minutes in the preheated oven.
9) Use as required.