- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Rye Crescent Rolls Recipe
|Active dry yeast||2 1⁄4 Teaspoon (Use 1 Package)|
|Honey||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Flat beer||1 Cup (16 tbs), warmed to 105°-115°f|
|Vegetable oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Caraway seeds||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Rye flour||1 1⁄8 Cup (18 tbs)|
|All-purpose flour/Bread flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Butter||3 Tablespoon, melted (Use 1/3 Stick)|
Calories 120 Calories from Fat 63
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 7 g11.1%
Saturated Fat 2.5 g12.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 8.1 mg
Sodium 244.2 mg10.2%
Total Carbohydrates 11 g3.8%
Dietary Fiber 2.7 g10.7%
Sugars 1.7 g
Protein 2 g4.4%
Vitamin A 1.9% Vitamin C 0.24%
Calcium 1.3% Iron 5.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a cup, dissolve yeast and honey in warm beer
2. Let stand for 5 to 10 minutes until frothy.
3. 25 minutes before baking, preheat the oven to 350°F.
4. In a large mixing bowl, combine rye flour with salt, oil and caraway seeds
5. Stir yeast starter into flour and mix quickly to bind.
6. Add white flour ½ cup at a time to make dough.
7. Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead for 10 minutes with back of your palm, adding more flour if required until dough is soft smooth and pliable.
8. Make into a tight ball and place in an oiled bowl, turning it over to grease the surface.
9. Cover bowl with kitchen cloth and leave in a warm place for about 1 ½ hours to ferment until dough has doubled in volume.
10. Punch dough down to knock out air and knead it lightly.
11. Divide into a 3 equal portions and rest for 5 minutes.
12. On a flour dusted surface, roll each portion into a 9-inch circle.
13. Divide the circle into quarters and then each quarter into half, to get 8 equal triangles.
14. Roll each triangle, starting from curved edge to the tip to make a crescent shape.
15. Arrange on cookie sheets, 2-inch apart.
16. Cover crescents loosely with cloth and set in warm area (near the preheating oven) to prove for another 45 minutes until risen.
17. Glaze crescent rolls with melted butter.
18. Bake them in preheated oven for about 15 minutes until golden.
19. Remove, slide on to a rack and let cool slightly.
20. Pile into a bread basket and serve for breakfast of along with soups if you like.