- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Rye Bread Recipe
|Stone ground whole wheat flour||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Rye flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Rye meal||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Coarsely Ground Rye Flour)|
|Soy flour||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Wheat germ||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Caraway seeds||2 Tablespoon|
|Active dry yeast||1 Tablespoon|
|Lukewarm water||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Molasses||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Soy oil||4 Tablespoon|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2456 Calories from Fat 779
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 90 g138%
Saturated Fat 13.1 g65.7%
Trans Fat 0.3 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 5918 mg246.6%
Total Carbohydrates 366 g122%
Dietary Fiber 78.7 g314.7%
Sugars 70.2 g
Protein 87 g175%
Vitamin A 4.4% Vitamin C 10.6%
Calcium 74.1% Iron 177.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Dissolve the yeast in 1/2 cup of water. Mix the remaining water with the molasses. Add the yeast mixture to the molasses mixture.
3. Add the yeast-molasses mixture to the dry ingredients and mix well. The mixture will appear sticky at first but as it is kneaded it will gradually leave the sides of the bowl clean.
4. Continue to knead the bread in the bowl, adding only a minimum of whole wheat flour, until the dough is smooth and satiny.
5. Remove the dough to a lightly floured board and knead for 3 to 4 minutes longer. (Long kneading is essential to success in all whole grain breads.)
6. Put dough in a clean buttered bowl and turn to butter the top of the dough. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, about 1 1/2 hours. Turn out onto a floured board and divide into 4 pieces.
7. Knead each portion and form into an oval-shaped loaf. Cut slashes at an angle on the top and place on oiled baking sheets. Brush the outside of the loaves with oil, cover, and place in a warm place to rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
8. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
9. Bake for 45 minutes, or until the loaves sound hollow when tapped on the bottom. Cool on wire racks.