- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Rye Bread Recipe
|Active dry yeast||1 Tablespoon|
|Warm water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (105°-115°F)|
|Whole wheat flour||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs) (Measured Scoop And Level, Increase To 1 1/2 Cups If Gluten Flour Is Omitted)|
|Rye flour||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs) (Measured Scoop And Level)|
|Gluten flour||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Water||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs) (As Needed)|
|Caraway seeds||2 Teaspoon|
|Caraway seeds||1 Teaspoon (Additional For Topping)|
|Egg||1 , beaten with 2 tablespoons water|
|Water||2 Tablespoon (For Beating The Egg)|
Calories 379 Calories from Fat 64
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 7 g11.3%
Saturated Fat 1.1 g5.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 52.9 mg
Sodium 309.8 mg12.9%
Total Carbohydrates 70 g23.3%
Dietary Fiber 14.4 g57.5%
Sugars 6.8 g
Protein 14 g28.4%
Vitamin A 1.6% Vitamin C 1.4%
Calcium 6.8% Iron 28.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2) Let stand in a warm place about 5 minutes until it dissolves or puffs.
3) Add oil and honey.
In your food processor, use the METAL BLADE setting.
4) In the work bowl, add whole wheat flour, rye flour, gluten flour (if used) and salt. Pulse on/off to mix.
5) Pour in yeast mixture through feed tube while the machine is running.
6) Pour in remaining water in a steady stream, only as fast as the flour absorbs it.
7) Process the dough ball for 20 seconds and test the consistency for right elasticity, stickiness and wetness, by stopping the machine.
8) If it is not ready, then process for another 10 seconds.
9) Gradually add caraway seeds, while the machine is still running.
10) Sprinkle with additional 1-2 tablespoons flour into the dough and pulse machine on/off to coat dough for easy removal from work bowl.
11) In an oiled bowl transfer the dough and turn over to oil the entire surface.
12) Cover with plastic bag or damp cloth and let rise in a warm place, free from drafts, until doubled in bulk, about 1-1 1/4 hour.
13) Punch down dough and knead for 30 seconds to press out the dough.
14) Prepare a ball out of the dough, let rest by covering for 15 minutes.
15) Roll the dough on a lightly floured surface, to form a rectangle roughly measuring 8 x 12-inches.
16) Start to roll the dough tightly in jelly-roll style from the 12-inches side. Seal the edge by pinching.
17) Turn roll seam-side down, press the ends of the loaf down with the edges of your hands. Tuck flattened ends under and pinch gently to seal.
18) Use a well-greased cookie sheet to place the roll seam-side down.
19) Cover and let rise in warm place, free from drafts until doubled, about 40 minutes.
20) Preheat oven to 350Â°.
21) With a razor blade or sharp knife, slash the loaf with 3-4 diagonal cuts.
22) Brush with egg glaze on the surface. Sprinkle with additional caraway seeds.
23) Place inside oven on middle rack to bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown and bottom crust of loaf has a hard hollow sound when tapped.
24) Immediately remove the loaf from the pan and cool on metal rack.
25) Slice the bread and serve with your choice of dip or spread.