- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Russian Cod Ragout Recipe
|Idaho potato||8 Ounce, peeled|
|Carrots||4 Medium, sliced|
|Cod fillets||1 1⁄2 Pound|
|Olive oil||4 Tablespoon|
|Onion||1 Medium, cut into 1/4- inch dice|
|Parsnip||4 Ounce, cut|
|Garlic||4 Clove (20 gm)|
|Tomatoes||1 1⁄2 Pound|
|Black pepper||To Taste|
|Fish stock||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Lemon juice||3 Tablespoon|
|Flat-leaf parsley||1 Cup (16 tbs), coarsely chopped|
|Cucumber||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), julienned|
Calories 424 Calories from Fat 101
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 11 g17.6%
Saturated Fat 1.7 g8.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 49 mg
Sodium 232.1 mg9.7%
Total Carbohydrates 57 g19%
Dietary Fiber 8 g32.1%
Sugars 15.2 g
Protein 27 g53%
Vitamin A 164.7% Vitamin C 84.1%
Calcium 8% Iron 9.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) In a medium-size pot, add the potato in the boiling water and boil gently for 3 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and keep aside.
2) Add the carrots, boil gently for 3 minutes, drain and keep aside.
3) Skin and bone the fish, discard any small bones, then cut the fish into 2 x 1-inch pieces.
4) In a large non-stick skillet, sear the cod in 2 tablespoons of the oil over a medium-high heat for 1 minute on each side. Remove and keep aside.
5) In a medium heavy pot or Dutch oven, spread the potato at the bottom, cover with the carrots, then place the fish in a single layer.
6) Sprinkle over the onion, parsnip, garlic, cinnamon stick and cloves, then spread the diced tomatoes on top.
7) Drizzle with rest of the 2 tablespoons olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
8) In a bowl, mix the fish stock, lemon juice and sugar together and pour over the vegetables and fish.
9) Simmer covered over a low heat for 20 minutes, until the fish is opaque and cooked and the vegetables are tender.
10) Gently fold in 1/2 cup parsley and the bay leaf into the ragout and cook for another 5 minutes.
11) Spoon into shallow soup or pasta bowls, garnish with the parsley and the julienned cucumber and serve immediately.