- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Russian Borscht Recipe
|Lean beef||1 Pound, cubed|
|Water||1 1⁄2 Quart|
|Beets||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), shredded|
|Carrots||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), shredded|
|Shredded white turnips/Rutabagas||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Onion||1 Medium, chopped|
|Tomato puree||2 Tablespoon|
|Cabbage||1⁄2 Small, shredded|
|Ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Sour cream||1 Tablespoon|
Calories 308 Calories from Fat 127
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 14 g22%
Saturated Fat 7.3 g36.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 65.7 mg
Sodium 1604.8 mg66.9%
Total Carbohydrates 18 g6%
Dietary Fiber 4.5 g18.1%
Sugars 10.4 g
Protein 27 g54.4%
Vitamin A 86.7% Vitamin C 42.3%
Calcium 9.3% Iron 17.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Cover beef in salted water and let it simmer for 1-1/2 hours.
2) In a large saucepan, simmer beets, carrots, onion, tomato puree, turnips, sugar, butter, and vinegar and keep it covered for 15 minutes.
3) Stir in cabbage and cook further for 10 minutes ensuring to stir constantly.
4) Mix the vegetable mixture with the meat and broth along with pepper and bay leaves.
5) Let it cook until the vegetables are tender.
6) Check seasoning, drizzle sour cream and vinegar and serve.