- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Rum Nesselrode Pie Recipe
|Piecrust mix||5 1⁄2 Ounce (1/2 Package)|
|Unflavored gelatin||2 Tablespoon (2 Envelopes)|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Eggs||4 , separated|
|Milk||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Light rum||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Cream of tartar||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Heavy cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Dessert sauce||10 Ounce (1 Jar, Nesselrode)|
|Red food coloring||3 Drop (Adjust Quantity As Needed)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3384 Calories from Fat 1094
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 123 g189.6%
Saturated Fat 67.8 g339.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1229.8 mg
Sodium 1754 mg73.1%
Total Carbohydrates 454 g151.4%
Dietary Fiber 5.8 g23.1%
Sugars 280.6 g
Protein 84 g168%
Vitamin A 97% Vitamin C 2.4%
Calcium 66.3% Iron 110.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Bake in hot oven (425°) 12 minutes, or until pastry is golden; cool.
3. Mix gelatin and 1/4 cup of the sugar in a medium-size saucepan; beat in egg yolks, then milk.
4. Cook slowly, stirring constantly, until gelatin dissolves and mixture thickens slightly; pour into a large bowl. Stir in rum.
5. Place bowl in a deep pan of ice and water to speed setting. Chill, stirring several times, just until as thick as unbeaten egg white.
6. While the gelatin mixture chills, beat egg whites with cream of tartar until foamy-white and double in volume in a medium-size bowl. Beat in remaining 1/4 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until meringue stands in firm peaks. Beat cream until stiff in a separate bowl.
7. Stir Nesselrode sauce and a few drops food coloring into thickened gelatin mixture; fold in meringue, then whipped cream. Spoon into cooled pastry shell. Chill.
8. just before serving, garnish with puffs of whipped cream, if you wish.