- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Easy Rum Babas Recipe
|Strong plain flour||1⁄2 Pound (225 Gram)|
|Fresh yeast/2 level teaspoons dried yeast||1⁄2 Ounce, dried|
|Warm milk||6 Tablespoon|
|Currants||2 Ounce (50 Gram)|
|Melted butter||3 Ounce (75 Gram)|
|Granulated sugar||3⁄4 Pound (350 Gram)|
|Lemon||1 , juiced|
|Double cream||1⁄4 Pint (For Serving)|
Calories 469 Calories from Fat 164
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 18 g28.4%
Saturated Fat 6.2 g31.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 84.3 mg
Sodium 58.5 mg2.4%
Total Carbohydrates 69 g23%
Dietary Fiber 1.5 g5.9%
Sugars 44.4 g
Protein 4 g9%
Vitamin A 7% Vitamin C 14.1%
Calcium 3.3% Iron 3.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Preheat oven hot to 400°F, 200°C or Gas No. 6.
2) In a warm mixing basin sieve flour and salt.
3) Make a well at the centre.
4) Stir in fresh yeast with warm mixed milk and water. Mix lightly beaten eggs.
5) To dissolve dried yeast dissolve a teaspoon of sugar in lukewarm water and sprinkle yeast over it.
6) Let stand in warm place for about 10 minutes until frothy.
7) Add the eggs and stir.
8) Add yeast mixture immediately into dry ingredients.
9) Sprinkle flour lightly over the surface, cover with cloth and let stand for 20-30 minutes.
10) Using hand beat to make a smooth batter.
11) Mix currants and gently beat in melted butter. Mix thoroughly.
12) Spoon batter into the half-fill into the prepared moulds.
13) Place over baking sheet, cover and leave in a warm place until mixture is risen into edges.
14) Place in the center of oven and bake for 20-30 minutes.
15) Take off from moulds and let cool.
16) Let stand for overnight.
17) To prepare syrup, in a saucepan stir in sugar and water.
18) Stir over low heat and then bring up to boil.
19) Simmer for 10 minutes, take off fromheat and add strained lemon juice and rum.
20) Prick babas all over with a fine skewer. Soak in hot syrup in batches until well saturated.
21) Drain and place in a paper serving case.
22) Slit lengthwise to the centre.
23) Serve filled with whipped cream.