- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Rock Buns Recipe
|All purpose flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Baking powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Vegetable shortening/Lard||4 Tablespoon|
|Mixed currants and raisins||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Light brown sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Grated lemon rind||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2700 Calories from Fat 1037
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 118 g180.9%
Saturated Fat 48.4 g241.9%
Trans Fat 7.9 g
Cholesterol 343.5 mg
Sodium 1154.4 mg48.1%
Total Carbohydrates 391 g130.2%
Dietary Fiber 11.5 g45.9%
Sugars 173.8 g
Protein 37 g74.6%
Vitamin A 35.5% Vitamin C 10%
Calcium 91.3% Iron 88.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Preheat oven to 400 degree Fahrenheit
2. Grease 2 baking sheets.
3. In a bowl, sift together the flour, salt, and baking powder.
4. Rub the fats - whichever ones you're using - into the flour until the mixture resembles fine bread crumbs.
5. Now add the currants and raisins, sugar, and lemon rind and stir them in.
6. In another small bowl, beat the egg with 1 tablespoon of milk.
7. Using a fork, stir the egg mixture into the dry ingredients
8. If required, add a little more milk to give a stiff dough—the mixture should just knit together.
9. On the greased baking sheets, place the mixture in 12 small heaps using two forks.
10. Do not smoothen. Try to keep the mixture rough to give a rocky appearance, which will remain after baking.
11. In the preheated oveen, bake the heaps just above the center at 400°F for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
12. Cool on a wire rack.
13. Serve the rock buns fresh and warm.