- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Classic Roasted Turkey Recipe Video
|Whole turkey||15 Pound, removed|
|Sugar||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Salt||4 Cup (64 tbs) (Soaked in brine and brine discarded)|
|Onion||3 Medium, coarsely chopped|
|Carrots||2 , coarsely chopped|
|Celery||2 , coarsely chopped|
|Unsalted butter||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), melted|
Calories 1791 Calories from Fat 625
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 69 g106.8%
Saturated Fat 21.8 g108.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 628.5 mg
Sodium 624.1 mg26%
Total Carbohydrates 109 g36.5%
Dietary Fiber 2.1 g8.4%
Sugars 104.1 g
Protein 175 g350.3%
Vitamin A 58.2% Vitamin C 15.5%
Calcium 16.3% Iron 63.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Remove the turkey and place on a rack over a pan uncovered to allow the excess water to drain. Refrigerate for at least 8 hours to overnight.
3. Dry the turkey inside and out with paper towels. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
4. Place half of the carrots, celery, and onions in the cavity with salt, pepper, and one tablespoon of the melted butter in the cavity of the turkey. Truss the turkey.
5. Rub down the entire turkey with the remaining butter.
6. In the roasting pan combine the remaining vegetables, the thyme, and 2 cups of water. Place the turkey breast side down on a roasting rack and place the rack within the roasting pan.
7. Place the turkey in the oven and cook for 1 1/2 hours at 400 degrees. Remove the turkey. Lower the heat to 325 degrees. Baste the turkey and place it breast side up. If the juices begin to dry out add 1/2 cup of water at a time to the roasting pan. Place the turkey back into the oven and continue to cook until the temperature in the breast reaches 165 degrees and 175 degrees in the thigh.
8. Remove the turkey from the oven. Untruss the turkey and remove the vegetables in the cavity and combine with the vegetables in the roasting pan with its juice for use in a gravy. Allow the turkey to sit at room temperature for 20 minutes before carving.
For more information please visit: http://www.simplefoodie.com