- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Roasted Winter Squash and Apple Soup Recipe
|Winter squash||2 1⁄4 Pound, peeled, seeded, and cut into 2-inch pieces (Such As Butternut, Buttercup, Or Kabocha, 1 Large Sized)|
|Onions||2 Medium, peeled, quartered|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), peeled|
|Tart firm apples||2 , peeled, cored, quartered|
|Extra virgin olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Red chili powder||To Taste|
|Vegetable stock||5 Cup (80 tbs)|
|For cilantro walnut pesto|
|Walnut pieces||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Cilantro leaves||2 Cup (32 tbs) (Without Steam)|
|Jalapeno pepper||1 , seeded, chopped|
|Cider vinegar||1 Tablespoon|
|Purified water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
Calories 455 Calories from Fat 290
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 32 g49.6%
Saturated Fat 2.6 g12.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 454.7 mg18.9%
Total Carbohydrates 35 g11.6%
Dietary Fiber 10.7 g42.6%
Sugars 12 g
Protein 10 g19.8%
Vitamin A 55.2% Vitamin C 52.9%
Calcium 10.3% Iron 15.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. To prepare the pesto, blend walnuts, jalapeno pepper, cilantro, vinegar, salt and 2 to 3 tblsp water to a fine paste, using a food processor.
3. Remove the paste in a bowl adjust consistency using water and season it, if required. Refirgerate till further use.
3. Take a large roasting pan, add oil, squash, apples, garlic, and onions. Toss to coat well. Season with salt and chili powder.
4. Roast for 40 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes, or until the vegetables turns fork-tender and are slightly brown.
5. Using a food processor, process stock and half vegetables to a smooth puree, in two equal batches, reserving some broth for diluting the soup.
6. Transfer to pot and add broth, if required to adjust the thickness. Adjust seasoning and allow the soup to simmer.
7. Ladle into 6 warm bowls and serve garnished with dollops of Cilantro Walnut Pesto.