- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Roasted Herb Crust Omaha Top Sirloin Steaks With Mixed Vegetables And Wild Rice Recipe
|For the wild rice:|
|Wild rice||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Water||1 3⁄4 Cup (28 tbs)|
|Chopped pecans||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|White onions||1⁄2 , minced|
|Finely chopped flat leaf parsley||1 Tablespoon|
|For the mixed vegetables:|
|Red onion||1 , sliced|
|Thinly sliced fennel bulb||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Baby carrots||6 , sliced in half long|
|Zucchini||1 , cut in half long and sliced diagonally|
|Sugar snap peas||1 Cup (16 tbs), stemmed|
|Red bell pepper||1 , cut in half and sliced|
|Dried thyme||1 Teaspoon|
|Stock/Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Chopped flat leaf parsley||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|For the herb crust:|
|Butter||3 Tablespoon, softened|
|Dijon mustard/Whole grain mustard||1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Sliced chives||1 Tablespoon|
|Flat-leaf parsley||1 Tablespoon|
|Fine bread crumbs||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Freshly ground pepper||To Taste|
|For the steaks: top sirloin steaks - 4 no.s of about 8 ounce each|
|Top sirloin steak||32 Ounce (4, 8 Ounce Each)|
|Black pepper||To Taste|
|Olive oil||2 Teaspoon|
|Flat leaf parsley sprig||4|
Calories 986 Calories from Fat 611
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 69 g106.3%
Saturated Fat 13 g65.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 200.5 mg
Sodium 296.3 mg12.3%
Total Carbohydrates 40 g13.5%
Dietary Fiber 8.5 g33.9%
Sugars 9.2 g
Protein 53 g106.1%
Vitamin A 105.7% Vitamin C 162.2%
Calcium 12.3% Iron 28.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Rinse the wild rice in water, drain and place along with water and a bay leaf in a saucepan. Let it come to a boil. Reduce heat and cook covered for about 1 hour or until the rice is completely cooked. Allow the rice to cool a little.
2) In a skillet, dry roast the pecans on medium heat for 5 to 6 minutes, stirring a few times till they brown on both sides. Keep aside.
3) In a skillet, melt butter and saute onions on medium flame for 2 minutes. Add in the rice, pecans, parsley and mix well.
4) In a saucepan, melt butter and saute the onions, fennel and carrots for about 3 minutes on medium flame. Stir in zucchini, sugar snap peas, red bell pepper, thyme and saute for a minute, stirring in between.
5) Add in stock and cook till the vegetables have turned tender and the liquid has disappeared.
6) Stir in parsley, salt and pepper. Mix well and keep warm until serving time.
7) In a mixing bowl, combine butter and mustard. Add in chives, parsley, bread crumbs, salt, pepper and mix well to form the herb crust.
8) Season the steaks with salt and pepper and sear on a skillet on high flame for 2 minutes on each side.
9) Place the herb crust paste on one side of each steak. Broil for about 8 minutes for medium rare, cooking the crust side up. There is no need to turn the steaks over. Broil for 10 minutes if the steak needs to be cooked medium. The crust must turn brown and dissolve a little in both cases though.
10) Slice each steak into 3 to 4 thin pieces. Place the slices on the side of the plate. Mound the Wild Rice in the centre. Place the mixed vegetables next to the steak and garnish with parsley leaves.