- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Roasted Garlic And Leek Chowder Recipe
|Unsalted butter||1 Tablespoon|
|Garlic cloves||6 Large, peeled|
|Diced salt pork||1 Ounce (1/3 Cup)|
|Leeks||3 Medium, chopped (Use Whites And Tender Greens)|
|Carrots||2 Medium, diced|
|Celery rib with leaves||1 , finely chopped|
|Chicken stock/Canned broth||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Baking potatoes||1 Pound, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice (2 Medium Sized)|
|Chopped fresh sage||1 Teaspoon|
|Freshly ground pepper||To Taste|
|Chopped parsley||1 Tablespoon|
Calories 366 Calories from Fat 111
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 12 g19.1%
Saturated Fat 5 g24.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 21.4 mg
Sodium 606.4 mg25.3%
Total Carbohydrates 54 g18.1%
Dietary Fiber 5.7 g22.9%
Sugars 11.5 g
Protein 12 g23.7%
Vitamin A 157.7% Vitamin C 53.9%
Calcium 15.3% Iron 28.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Meanwhile, blanch the salt pork in a small saucepan of boiling water for 3 minutes. Drain well.
3. In a large saucepan, fry the salt pork over moderate heat until golden, about 4 minutes. Discard all but 1 tablespoon of the fat, but leave the salt pork in the pan.
4. Add the leeks and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Stir in the garlic paste and cook for 1 minute longer. Stir in the carrots and celery. Reduce the heat to moderate, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables have softened, about 10 minutes.
5. Stir in the chicken stock and bring to a boil over moderately high heat. Add the potatoes and return to a boil. Reduce the heat to moderate and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
6. Transfer 1 cup of the chowder to a blender or food processor and puree until smooth. Return the puree to the chowder and stir in the sage. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Ladle the chowder into bowls and garnish with the parsley.