- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Roasted Cornish Game Hens with Cornbread Stuffing Recipe Video
|Cornbread||4 Cup (64 tbs) (store bought or homemade)|
|Diced onion||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Chopped celery||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Granny smith apple||2 , peeled, diced|
|Craisin||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Garlic powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Dried sage||2 Teaspoon|
|Dried rosemary||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Dried thyme||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Toasted almonds||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), chop|
|Chicken stock||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Apple juice||1⁄8 Cup (2 tbs)|
|For game hen|
|Cornish game hen||4 , rinsed, patted dry (11/4-1 1/2 pound)|
|Chopped fresh sage||1 Tablespoon|
|Coarse kosher salt||2 Teaspoon|
|Freshly ground black pepper||1 Teaspoon|
|Garlic powder||2 Teaspoon|
|For onion and mushroom tartlets|
|Button mushroom||10 Small, dice|
|Onion||1 Medium, dice|
|Extra virgin olive oil||1 Teaspoon|
|Herbes de provence/Thyme||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Sherry||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Chive and onion cream cheese||1 Tablespoon (heaping tablespoon)|
|Chopped pecans||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Gruyere cheese||1 Cup (16 tbs), shredded|
|Pie crust||1 (prepared)|
|For roasted brussels sproutsu|
|Brussel sprouts||1 1⁄2 Pound|
|Olive oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Kosher salt||3⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Freshly ground black pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|For corn maque choux|
|Finely chopped onion||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Chopped red bell pepper||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Fresh corn kernels||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Heavy whipping cream||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Chopped fresh thyme||1 Teaspoon|
|Hot pepper sauce||1⁄2 Teaspoon (or to taste)|
|Green onion||1 , finely chopped|
|Fresh italian parsley||2 Tablespoon, chop|
|Fresh basil||1 Tablespoon, chop|
|Coarse kosher salt||To Taste|
Calories 2551 Calories from Fat 1186
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 132 g203.8%
Saturated Fat 43.5 g217.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 550.8 mg183.6%
Sodium 2468.8 mg102.9%
Total Carbohydrates 223 g74.4%
Dietary Fiber 42.1 g168.5%
Sugars 35.5 g
Protein 121 g241.4%
Vitamin A 75.1% Vitamin C 227.8%
Calcium 54.2% Iron 100.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. For hen, in a small bowl, add salt, pepper, sage, and garlic powder. Mix well.
2. Sprinkle salt mixture lightly into the cavity of each hen. Set aside.
3. Preheat oven to 400 degree F.
4. For Brussels sprouts, cut off the brown ends and yellow outer leaves of Brussels sprouts. Set aside.
5. Grease muffin tins and set aside.
6. For stuffing, place a skillet on medium high flame, and melt butter in it.
7. Drop onion, and celery. Saute for 5 minutes.
8. Throw apple, and cook for about 3 minutes or until they begin to soften.
9. Add sage, garlic, rosemary, thyme, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
10. Into a large bowl, transfer the mixture.
11. Put cornbread into the bowl and mix.
12. Pour chicken stock and apple juice. Add toasted almonds and mix to combine.
13. Fill each hen cavity with 1 cup of stuffing.
14. Tuck wing tips under, and tie hen legs together to hold shape.
15. Sprinkle the remaining salt mixture all over the hen.
16. Place a roasting rack in a shallow pan. Put hens on roasting rack thigh side up.
17. Pop pan in oven and roast for 45 minutes or until skin is crisping, at 400 degree F.
18. Turn over the hens, and roast for additional 45 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches at least 165 degree when measured with thermometer.
19. In greased muffin cups, place any leftover stuffing.
20. Place it in oven, cover, and bake for 30 minutes in 400 degree F oven.
21. For caramelized onion, and mushroom tartlets, treat a non-stick pan with olive oil.
22. Drop mushroom and onion. Cook on medium high heat until mushroom begins to lose water and onion is translucent.
23. Add salt, pepper, and herbes de provence. Saute until golden brown.
24. Pour sherry and deglaze pan.
25. Add cream cheese, and pecans. Mix well.
26. Into a large bowl, transfer the mushroom mixture. Add cheese and stir well.
27. Cut pie crust into 12 rounds. In tartlet pan, place the crust.
28. Fill each tartlet cups with equal amount of mushroom mixture.
29. Pop it in oven, and bake for 13-18 minutes, at 400 degree F.
30. For roasted Brussels sprouts, in a large bowl, add Brussels sprouts, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Toss to coat.
31. Line a baking sheet with foil and lay Brussels on it. Place it in oven, and bake for 35-40 minutes or until crisp from out, and tender from the inside. Shake pan occasionally while roasting.
32. Sprinkle kosher salt on them.
33. For corn Maque choux, place a skillet on medium high flame, and melt butter in it.
34. Drop onion, and sauté for 5 minutes or until translucent.
35. Add bell pepper, stir, and cook for another 3 minutes or until they begin to soften.
36. Throw corn, and cook for 2 minutes.
37. Add cream, thyme, and hot pepper sauce. Simmer for 5 minutes or until sauce thickens.
38. Drop green onion, parsley, and basil. Mix well.
39. Taste and season with salt, pepper, and hot sauce.
40. Serve roasted Cornish hens with tartlets, roasted Brussels sprouts and corn.