- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Healthy Roasted Beet Salad Recipe Video
|Beets||1 Pound, trimmed|
|Canola oil||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs) (divided)|
|Lettuce leaves/Mesclun mix||8 Cup (128 tbs), torn|
|Sunflower seeds||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), toasted|
|Green apple||1 , washed, peeled, cored and thinly sliced|
|Lemon juice||2 Teaspoon|
|Lemon zest||1 Teaspoon|
|Red wine vinegar||2 Teaspoon|
|Dijon mustard||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Feta cheese||4 Ounce|
Calories 364 Calories from Fat 249
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 28 g43.7%
Saturated Fat 6 g29.8%
Trans Fat 0.1 g
Cholesterol 25.4 mg8.5%
Sodium 430.2 mg17.9%
Total Carbohydrates 22 g7.3%
Dietary Fiber 6 g24%
Sugars 14.3 g
Protein 8 g16.4%
Vitamin A 116.3% Vitamin C 54.3%
Calcium 21% Iron 11.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Preheat oven at 350°F/175°C.
2. Toast the sunflower seeds until brown
2. Cut the top and bottom of the cleaned beets.
3. Place them on a foil lined baking sheet and drizzle 2 Tbsp (30 mL) of canola oil just to cover the beets.
4. Roast the beets in the oven for 45 minutes.
5. Remove from oven and let it cool.
6. In a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice, zest, vinegar, honey, Dijon mustard and blend well.
7. Add the remaining 2 Tbsp (45 mL) of canola oil slowly into the above mixture for emulsifying.
8. Rub off the beet skins with the help of a kitchen towel.
9. Cut beets into small wedges and place it in a large salad bowl.
10. Add the lettuce, feta cheese, sunflower seeds and apple slices to the beet wedges.
11. Drizzle the prepared dressing over the beet salad and toss lightly.
12. Serve the beet salad in a large bowl or divide between 4 salad plates, garnishing with a few basil leaves if you like.