- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Leg of Veal in White Wine Recipe
|Leg of veal||7 Pound|
|Dried rosemary||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Garlic cloves||2 Large|
|Parsley||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|White wine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
Calories 1810 Calories from Fat 747
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 83 g128.4%
Saturated Fat 35.4 g177.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 964.6 mg
Sodium 1000.7 mg41.7%
Total Carbohydrates 5 g1.7%
Dietary Fiber 0.45 g1.8%
Sugars 0.3 g
Protein 238 g476.2%
Vitamin A 8.4% Vitamin C 8.4%
Calcium 16.2% Iron 26.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) In a non-stick pan, saute the bacon until crisp and drain.
2) Place the bacon drippings aside to cool.
3) Preheat the oven to 350F.
4) On waxed paper, mix together 1 teaspoon of salt, 1/2 teaspoon of pepper, and the rosemary.
5) Over a clean work surface, spread the veal flat, skin side down,.
6) Make four slits, about 1-1/2 inches deep, in thickest part of meat.
7) Massage with half of salt mixture over surface of veal and into slits.
8) Smear the veal evenly with bacon drippings, garlic, and parsley, dredge with bacon bits.
9) Gently bring the meat ends together, and tie with string securely into a well-shaped roll.
10) Message with remaining salt mixture over veal roll.
11) Put the role on rack in shallow roasting pan.
12) Pierce a meat thermometer into the thickest part of veal.
13) Place the roasting pan into the oven and roast, uncovered for 30 minutes.
14) Stream wine all over the veal.
15) Return the veal to the oven and roast, basting frequently with pan drippings for 2 to 2-1/2 hours longer, or until meat thermometer registers 170F.
16) Pour in 1/2 cup water to pan if needed.
17) Place the veal over a serving platter.
18) In a 2-cup measure, pour the drippings.
19) Using a spoon, skim off the excess fat, and discard.
20) Pour water to drippings to measure 1-1/2 cups.
21) In the roasting pan, place the dripping and heat to boil, stirring to dissolve all browned bits in pan.
22) Allow to boil for 1 minute.
23) Take the pan off the heat, and strain, if desired.
24) In a medium saucepan, melt the butter remove from heat.
25) Mix in the flour until smooth and cook for 3 minutes.
26) Take the flour mixture off the heat.
27) Slowly blend in hot liquid and heat to boil.
28) Lower the heat, and simmer the flour mixture for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring continuously.
29) Adjust the seasoning with adding salt and pepper to taste.
30) Slice the veal thinly and serve hot with the sauce.