- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Roast Turkey With Sausage And Chestnut Stuffings Recipe
|Turkey||10 Pound, dressed (1 Medium-Sized One)|
|Season salt||To Taste|
|For sausage meat stuffing|
|Stale white bread slices||12 , trimmed and cut into 1/3-inch cubes|
|Pork sausage meat||1 1⁄2 Pound|
|Onion||1 Large, finely chopped|
|Parsley||2 Tablespoon, finely chopped|
|Dried thyme||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Dried marjoram||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Dried sage||1 Pinch|
|Egg||1 , beaten|
|Chestnuts||2 Pound, peeled and skinned|
|For chestnut stuffing:|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Turkey giblet/Chicken stock||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
Calories 1425 Calories from Fat 665
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 75 g115.5%
Saturated Fat 28.2 g140.9%
Trans Fat 0.1 g
Cholesterol 511.6 mg
Sodium 1003.1 mg41.8%
Total Carbohydrates 67 g22.4%
Dietary Fiber 6 g23.8%
Sugars 12.6 g
Protein 114 g228.3%
Vitamin A 54.2% Vitamin C 13%
Calcium 12.6% Iron 57.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Peel the chestnuts.
2. Wipe turkey dry inside and out with a damp cloth.
3. Loosen skin with your hand, working down under the skin from the neck end to the breast. Use a small knife to loosen skin from meat at places where skin does not detach easily.
4. Proceed to loosened skin down each side to the legs. Keep the bird aside.
5. Before roasting the turkey, preheat the oven to 425°F
6. To make sausage meat stuffing, in a large frying pan, fry bacon till crisp.
7. Remove bacon to a large bowl..
8. To drippings in pan, add butter and heat the fat until it begins to froth.
9. Add bread cubes and sauté until golden
10. Tip into bowl with bacon.
11. Add remaining stuffing ingredients to the bowl and mix thoroughly. Keep aside.
12. To make the chest nut stuffing, boil chestnuts in boiling stock or salted water for about 20 minutes, until tender –crisp.
13. Drain chestnuts in a colander over a bowl to catch cooking liquid.
14. Return them to the hot, dry pan and add butter, 2 tablespoons of the stock and seasonings to taste.
15. Toss until chestnuts are glazed.
16. Stuff the bird with sausage meat mixture between skin and meat.
17. Tighten skin pulling it at the neck and sew or fasten with metal skewers or toothpicks.
18. Stuff the bird’s cavity with chestnut mixture but not stuffing it too much. Keep left over mixture aside.
19. Truss the bird, cutting off ends of wings to make stock.
20. Place dressed bird, breast side up, in a large roasting pan.
21. Rub outside with salt and pepper and prick the bird all over with a skewer.
22. Cover bird with a butter-soaked cheesecloth.
23. Place on lowest shelf of preheated oven and roast for 15 minutes.
24. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F and roast for 2 ½ to 3 hours, basting the bird with remaining butter mixed with stock every 15 minutes so that the cheesecloth always remains completely moistened.
25. Test for doneness by inserting a skewer into the thickest part of the leg. The juices should just run clear. Use a meat thermometer if you have one. .
26. When turkey is cooked, remove cheesecloth, cut off trussing threads and skewers.
27. Transfer it to a hot serving platter and keep hot in the turned-off oven.
28. Skim fat from surface of pan juices when they are slightly cooled.
29. Blend cornstarch in a little cold water and add to pan juices.
30. Place pan on stove and heat the gravy, stirring constantly until it is thick and bubbly.
31. Strain into a gravy boat.
32. Serve the turkey with the gravy on the side.
33. Carve the turkey into serving portions at the table using a carving knife and fork.
34. Accompany with cranberry baked apples, mashed potatoes, and a salad if you like.