- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Roast Turkey With Gravy Recipe
|Chicken broth||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 863 Calories from Fat 236
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 26 g40.3%
Saturated Fat 7.3 g36.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 244.9 mg
Sodium 1232.7 mg51.4%
Total Carbohydrates 70 g23.3%
Dietary Fiber 2.5 g9.8%
Sugars 1.3 g
Protein 80 g159.9%
Vitamin A 0.5% Vitamin C
Calcium 6.5% Iron 47.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Wash turkey and sprinkle inside cavity with salt and pepper.
3. Tie legs together. Tie wings and legs to body.
4. Invert a heat-resistant non-metallic saucer or small casserole cover in a shallow non-metallic baking dish.
5. Place turkey breast-side-down on saucer.
6. Heat, uncovered, for half of cooking time, 3 (4) minutes per pound (a total of 36 (48) minutes).
7. Turn turkey breast-side-up and continue cooking covered with a paper towel for the remaining half of the cooking time, 3 (4) additional minutes per pound.
8 Insert a meat thermometer into fleshy portion of turkey, not touching any bones. It should register 160°F. Do not place thermometer in Microwave Oven.
9. If temperature is not 160°F return turkey to Microwave Oven for an additional few minutes until correct temperature is reached.
10. Let turkey stand covered with aluminum foil at room temperature 20 to 30 minutes to finish cooking. The internal temperature of the turkey should be 170°F after standing.
11. While turkey is standing at room temperature, prepare the gravy. Turkey should be removed from roasting pan.
12. Pour pan driopings into a bowl, leaving the residue in the pan.
13. Allow fat to rise to the top. Skim off about 6 tablespoons of fat. Reserve pan drippings. (If there is not enough fat, add butter or margarine to make 6 tablespoons total. Discard any excess fat.)
14. Return fat to baking dish.
15. Blend in flour and salt and pepper to taste.
16. Heat, uncovered, in Microwave Oven 4 (5) minutes or until lightly browned.
17. Measure remaining pan drippings and add enough chicken broth to measure 3 cups.
18. Gradually stir liquid into flour mixture until smooth, scraping sides of pan to loosen any particles that stick to the pan.
19. Heat, uncovered, in Microwave Oven 5 to 6 (6 1/2 to 8) minutes or until thickened and smooth.
Stir gravy every minute during cooking.